On top of the rock

On top of the rock
Our Cliff

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Where’s a live mouse when you really need one!

When Maurice phoned me today while I was in Cabo and asked me to pick something up for him I was not surprised. This often happens as he thinks of an item he needs while I am in town. His request today though, was a little unusual.

“Where are you?” he asked. “Costco” I responded. “GREAT!” he exclaimed! “Can you pick me up a large glass container??” “What kind of glass container?” I asked. “A big one with a cover. Kind of like an aquarium.” “Should I ask why?” I say. “We have a new pet,” he says. “You found a fish??” “No….a rattlesnake.”

Well, as you can imagine that did not excite me as much as it excited Maurice. “A RATTLESNAKE!!! WHAT THE HECK IS THE MATTER WITH YOU!!!???” “It is only a baby” he says, “not more than a foot long. “

“Does it have a rattler???”

“Yes..."

“Can it still bite??”

“Yes...”

“And you want to keep it in a glass container??”

“Yes, one that is big enough for me to put rocks, sand and live mice in,” he says.

“LIVE MICE??!!”

“Yes, please.”

Well Costco had no rattlesnake houses but I did find a large clear plastic box in Wal-Mart. So now we have a rattlesnake in a box. Maurice frantically looked for live mice in some storage boxes we had. Of course he had no luck. He did find out that the snake can live for a month without food. He says that if he can not find live mice for him he will le it go. Gees, that is reassuring!

BTW Retro is not a fan of the snake. I have to agree with him…but I do have to say I peak a look way too often into his plastic habitat! Maurice enjoys that! He giggles and says, “YOU LIKE IT!!!” I guess for our first pet snake it is kind of cute...



4 comments:

  1. Rick says that it will be less painful to pay the consequences of playing blindfolded tag around your place then the outcome of playing russian roulette with a rattlesnake...just sayin...you know there are better reptile pets to have as your first pet you know...also..where there is one baby rattlesnake there are about 10 others...on average that's how many babies live with each birth...and they live about 20 to 30 years in captivity..not sure this is something you can will to anyone!!!! Pls be careful...hands in a box feeding it live mice seems to have some inherent risks with it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have turned into a 10 year old boy! I CAN NOT STOP LOOKING AT IT! Just added two more pictures. Yes, I know!!...AND the blindfold tag is VERY funny....I will try to get Maurice to smarten up...if only I can let it go now. :) LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so you know..its a Baja rattler...and it grows to about 3 feet in length...it is the smallest of the rattler family...you know me...I'm an info addict...you can tell its a Baja rattler becaus they have the "bandit" mask around their eyes..and the markings on their back...not to mention the area in which they inhabit....god love the internet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did he catch it?

    ReplyDelete