On top of the rock

On top of the rock
Our Cliff

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Becoming “Franks”

After two wonderful weeks visiting family and friends, I arrived back at Arriba de la Roca yesterday...just in time for pizza night at the Sand Bar. No, I did not cut my trip short so I could be there; in fact I ended up staying longer than I first thought, just so I could fit everything in. I could not have added one more thing to my time away. I certainly “packed in some life” while I was gone.

My friend Maxine wrote that to me before I left Mexico. She said, “We are going to be packin’ in some life while you are here, so you better rest up.” Those words made me think about how many days and weeks go by that we do not really live, or pack in any life at all. We only just exist. Between work, family, and other obligations I know that sometimes it is all we can do just to get through an entire day; and then hope that we get enough sleep to make it through the next one.

You may think it is easy for me to say but I think we should all try to do what Maxine suggests. If we can look at each day as a chance to “live” instead of just needing to get through it and “exist”, our life will become fuller and more satisfying.

My friend Jackie gave me a book called “God Never Blinks”. The book’s title is in reference to the author’s life. Regina Brett had such a bad life before she hit her 40’s she thought God had blinked when she was born, thus missing her existence. This book was put together from her weekly newspaper column which talks about 50 of life’s most important lessons. Lessons she learned in her 4th and 5th decade of life. One thing that really stuck in mind was a lesson she learned from a housepainter named Frank.

Whenever Frank thought, or spoke, he replaced the words “have to” with the words “get to.” This reminds Frank to enjoy and appreciate his life.

I think we should all become “Franks.” Tomorrow when you wake up and think about that ½ hour or hour drive to work do not think “I have to drive to work.” Instead think, “I GET TO DRIVE TO WORK!!”

When you have to pick up groceries before you rush home to cook dinner before you take your son to soccer practice, have a paradigm shift. Think to yourself how lucky you are to be able to be there and consider the fact that you GET TO shop and GET TO cook for your family and you GET TO take your son to soccer.

This works for everything. Absolutely everything.

Try it tomorrow and I think it may lighten your load a little bit. Maybe this will give you a chance to “pack in some life“, instead of just existing in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment