On top of the rock

On top of the rock
Our Cliff

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Parents

When Vanessa and Jay went on their honeymoon they left their 18-month-old daughter, Addison, with Jen and Chris, who also have a baby girl. Their daughter Eden is 14 months and their son Noah is four. For one 24-hour period, I was there with our three grandchildren, helping take care of them while Jen and Chris worked. It is not unusual that I spend time taking care of children, whether it was babysitting for money when I was younger, or taking care of my brother and nieces and nephews, or even watching Noah when he was younger, I have spent lots of time with children.

Can I tell you though that at 6pm this day I truly thought it was time for the kids to go to bed? I asked Jen if it was time yet??? I mean, if I am exhausted, those children must be, right!!!! I am not sure if it was the two hours at the park, or the constant playing, or the 4 poo filled diapers, (two per girl) or the feeding, cleaning up, and the feeding and the cleaning up, then the juice, and the bottles, or maybe it was that extra child that was put into the mix....I am not sure, but WOW, that 24 hours took a lot of energy.

These thoughts brought me to thinking about all you parents out there. The time involved in raising children, and the dedication it takes to raise good, responsible citizens of the world. I also realize the never-ending concern you have for these children, no matter how old they are.

Of course my Mom still worries endlessly about me. I am 55 years old and she still worries about my safety, my choices and what I am doing. During my last weekend in Canada, at Jake Lake with my Ya Ya’s, everyone one of them was worried about their children. Megan was concerned about her son who was driving home from University in Nova Scotia. One of Linda’s sons is planning for his future and she was worried about the choices he had to make. Ann was concerned for her son who is competently competing with much older boys for a choice goalie position. Being successful in this league could help get him a scholarship for school. Susana has two little ones...she was worried about...well maybe she was just thrilled to be free from changing poo filled diapers for a few days!!

I realized that as a parent, no matter how young or how old your children get they will always be your main thought and concern. It begins when they are born, with feeding them and making sure they are safe. You will always sacrifice your needs or desires to insure they get everything they need. It was such a great pleasure for me to see that amazing parents are raising our grandchildren. They are good, kind, and light hearted little people. They are being primed to be intelligent and productive members of society. That makes me proud. My little bit of time with all of them helps me appreciate what Vanessa, Jay, Jennifer and Chris, as well as all of you who have parented, do with your endless energy, love, support and selflessness.

I am already missing them all.....

1 comment:

  1. I think what you are feeling is age..hate to say it but I love my grandkids and I cannot keep up with them anymore. i love to see them come, but i love to see them go. My kids dont understand this yet, they think I am suppose to still have all this strength! I am hearing from more and more of my friends that they too are suprised that they just cannot do it anymore. Thank God He closes our womb at a cetain age...He does know best! lol
    I am enjoying reading your lifes journeyas I know I could not do that either. thanks again for sharing it...stay safe and put this in a book...it can be a best seller!!! xxooo

    ReplyDelete