On top of the rock

On top of the rock
Our Cliff

Monday, May 31, 2010

THE U.P. (pronounced YOU PEE)

My drive through the U.P. as the northern part of Michigan is commonly called, was an interesting study in something I like to call “a different planet”. Of course I am from Wisconsin and there are many similarities in our sister state.

Both states are beautiful.

The upper part of Wisconsin is the same in topography and going from Michigan into Wisconsin you would never know where the border is.

Spring here is fresh and green, and the pines have new light green growths on all the ends of their branches. The maples and oaks have fresh, minty colored leaves sprouting from their branches. It is so lovely.

On the drive, I crossed the 45th parallel at Traverse City, Michigan. At this point, I was exactly halfway between the equator and the North Pole. I also drove across the Mackinac Bridge to Mackinaw Island. This 5-mile bridge looks like the Golden Gate Bridge and is the conduit between lower and upper Michigan. I guess before it was completed in 1957 you would have to boat across. As I am taking in this beautiful scenery I am reminded exactly where I am by signs that read, “ELK CROSSING”. These are signs that Canadians may see while traveling through Northern Ontario. In fact, much of my drive was similar to that area.

There are things in the U.P. called “Totem Village”, Wigwam Palace” and places that sell "Indian goods". All radio stations are either Christian radio or play Country and Western music. You pass through existing mining towns and towns that are no longer towns, since the mines have long since closed. In these ghost towns you see abandoned houses and endless rows of roadside hotels that have long since closed down; their signs hanging crookedly on rusted posts. Places that were named, “Dew Drop Inn” and “Stay Put”. You pass logging trucks filled with huge logs that are being driven to places far away. A truck filled with wood like this would be worth a fortune in the Baja, a place where there in no wood.

Many things I observed are just like things you may see when driving up north or up to “cottage country” in Ontario.

What you will not see in Northern Ontario are billboards touting how the military is the backbone of our civilization. Each billboard supports a different branch of service. Now these billboards are not necessarily in support of our troops. They are letting every person seeing them know that unless you fight, you are really not valuable. “Fight”, not serve your country. This mentality is apparent when you see groups of men dressed in full camouflage, with military boots, pants tucked in, shaved heads, shopping or buying gas. These are not men who are out hunting, thus dressed in camouflage. These are men, traveling in packs, dressed for the day, in the clothes that apparently must make them feel like real men. Paramilitary, I guess. Where they go and what they do is the real question. Did they make me feel safe? HELL NO!! They creeped me out and I certainly would not follow them to a deserted road to see what they were doing.

Another thing I noticed driving through this area was the American flag. I have never seen anything like it since the serge of Patriotism after September 11th. Here people fly American flags on their homes, their cars, their businesses. You can barely drive a mile without being inundated with flags. Pride in being an American is obvious. To me, the disturbing part is what they expect an American to be. Driving you see billboards that quote Thomas Jefferson and read, “I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” I saw another one with a picture of a gun surrounded by the words “Your Right, Your Duty” and of course, “Impeach Obama”.

There are bumper stickers that read, “FIRE NANCY PELOSI”. “My child was inmate of the month at the county jail” “You’re for abortions but against killing terrorists?” “Hug a soldier - Shoot a Democrat” AND...drum roll...”Don’t blame me, I voted for the American”.

My take on all this is that people here are conservative and judgmental. Now don’t get me wrong, there is certainly nothing wrong with being a conservative. It is the judgmental part that concerns me, but of course that is exactly what I am doing, isn’t it! I am judging people without even knowing them. Let me just say that this is not a planet I would choose to live in, no matter how beautiful it was. BTW, the Knights of the KKK originated in Michigan. Enough said.

My drive through this area was 8 days ago. Since then I have spent a night in Rhinelander Wisconsin with my friends Tara and Jerry. I have spent a week in my hometown visiting with friends and spending lots of time with my family. Now I am at my sister Barbara and her husband John’s cottage. BTW she is still wrapping her foot from the fall down our road in Mexico. I guess she really did hurt herself!!! We have had most of our family come and go while spending the last 4 days here. It has been perfect.

On Tuesday, I am on a plane back to Maurice and Retro. I have a feeling this will shortly feel like a dream I had. Time goes so quickly and I have done so much in the past five weeks. I will have many great memories to think about in the upcoming months. It has been a great vacation from our life in Mexico, which is also a vacation. I guess that is retirement. One vacation day after another. I love that!

2 comments: