On top of the rock

On top of the rock
Our Cliff

Friday, June 11, 2010

Susana

Today is my friend Susana’s birthday. When you are friends with Susana, June 11th is a national holiday. It is a date you hear about from June 12th, until the following June 11th. I have celebrated them with her for 17 years, until now. I guess this is another thing that I need to get accustomed to...missing celebrations for people I love.

Since I have been living here I have also realized I am missing the daily conversation that takes place among friends. You know, the things that you ultimately can never catch up on because you were not there to hear about them at the moment they happened. The quick, funny stories you so often share with friends when you have access to them every day. For Susana and me these happened often. She and I worked together for 17 years. We shared so many things during this time. We shared funny stories, ones we ran down the hall to tell each other, knowing no one would laugh as hard at them as we would together. Then there were the stories we knew we could only trust to one in other. There were many of those....

Susana was on mat leave twice during our time together. Two years in total that were the longest two years of my career.

Susana has taught me much in our time together. She taught me how to play Blackjack; one night just over the border into Quebec, oh so may years ago. She taught me how to laugh so hard that water came out my nose. She introduced Maurice and me to her home land of Portugal, as we spent two weeks driving from city to city. She also introduced us to Victoria BC for 4 glorious days one fall..back about 8 years ago. We have taken cooking lessons together. I have skied with her in the mountains of British Columbia and laid on many docks with her in Northern Ontario. She always had a way of talking through things with me when I was upset. She was there for me when I needed her. She taught me to shop and spend money...well O.K. I admit, I knew that before, but she would say she taught me to dress “Toronto” instead of Wisconsin! She taught me how to say hammock, liquor, dollar, and foyer....in “English” not Wisconsin...and the list goes on. You do not “grill out” you BBQ. You do not use “blush on” you use “blush”...I could write a whole blog on the things she makes fun of me for!!

Your lessons are with me daily and I want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY my friend. I am with you in spirit. I am toasting you and I wish you much happiness and peace in your 43rd year! I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Shelby!!! Thanks for making me cry...again and from so far away. I miss you dearly, my friend...and love you so much! xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete