On top of the rock

On top of the rock
Our Cliff

Thursday, June 24, 2010

THE TOY FACTORY

My friend Tara gave me a great gift. She loaned me a book entitled, “The Book of Bright Ideas.” Although I think this is a book women would appreciate more then men, I am suggesting you pick it up. It is a quick read and a great story as told through the eyes of a nine year old girl, in the summer of 1961.

1961, whether you are old enough to remember, or were not even born yet, was the start of a decade that certainly was a transitional time for women, as well as the world. When you read the book you will understand women's roles back then. They were subservient to their husbands, at the same time were the backbone of their families. This particular story shows how through a series of events and adventures, many people’s lives, men and women, were changed during this summer in 1961.

The summer of 1961 was probably around the same time that my mother had an adventure of her own. My father had passed away and she was a very attractive widow in our small town of Wisconsin Rapids. I am sure she had many opportunities presented to her during this time. Opportunities to go out for dinner, or maybe even a movie. Opportunities to maybe even go out of town, which even back then only meant one thing!! Instead she chose to stay home with us and be the best mom!! While doing this job, like most women back then, she wore dresses that came to below the knee and were belted around her small waist. She wore high heals and cooked and cleaned and took care of all us kids, albeit it sometimes with a belt in her hand chasing us down the road.

One opportunity presented itself to her that she could not turn down. My cousin Violet, who was also pretty hot and looked like she was rich, was approached by a man to purchase a business in New York City. She told him that she did not have the money but her cousin Beverly did. So she and my mom cooked up this scheme (I say scheme since my mother did not have any money at all) and this man flew my mother to New York City to hopefully purchase his toy factory.

Now, keep in mind, when you read this book, “The Book of Bright Ideas”, that this was the time period my mother took off, with a strange guy, for an adventure. She was in her early 30’s and this to her was an opportunity that she could not turn down. An all expense paid trip to New York, being “wined and dined” while pretending she had the money to buy a business!!!!!

She tells the story of how when they took her to the factory, in her newly purchased suit, high heels and matching hat, everything was covered in dust and there were some “plants” there, pretending to be working. She said they must have thought she was very dumb!!! She played the game and went along with the charade. I mean, they flew her to New York after all!! In the typical naivety of the time she did not fear for her safety, although now she thinks of what could have happened to her....a beautiful young woman, raised on a farm. Innocent, yet so looking for story to tell. She sure got one!!!

Our family did not end up owning a toy factory. We did end up though with a mom, who once this adventure occurred, never stopped looking for the next fun thing to do and see. She still lives this way, almost 50 years later.

Some say I have a lot of her in me. Writing to you from my new home in the Baja, I think they are right. Thank you Mom.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, what a great story. I hadn't heard that one. I've always admired your mother's positive attitude and her zest for life. I can just see her in her lovely suit, hat and heels. Reminds me of the story when she first met Maurice. You are blessed with such a great mother. FOR SURE, you are her clone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I am POSITIVE my brother has never heard this story either! He will be so surprised!!! I guess it was so long ago, and so much has happened since then, it is just one of those great tales that does not get talked about. I thought about it when reading the book for some reason. See you next week! The Sand Bar has been warned!! XOX

    ReplyDelete