On top of the rock

On top of the rock
Our Cliff

Friday, March 26, 2010

The Dog Neutering Clinic

The reason I spent today helping at this clinic is because a couple of years ago a woman named Barbara asked me if when I moved here I would help. She is the person we bought the famous sink from in our bathroom. She is also the woman who owns our storage units. It just so happens that the client was held for three days, including today.

So this morning Maurice took me and dropped me off. He was going to get his computer fixed. It had been broken for about 3 weeks and he was going crazy without it. So he leaves me out back of Barbara’s business, actually about 20 feet from where our things are stored.

My job as it turns out is to help with the dogs when they are recovering. The do cats, too, but today was mostly all dogs. So I sit on the ground next to dog number 1. They are marked by the number “in line” so to speak and this dog was neutered first today. It also said 18 lbs by his number. So I get my instructions. Watch the breathing. When it finally swallows for the first time pull the long tube out of its throat. Clean their ears, clip their nails and comb for fleas, after the anti-flea stuff is put on their back. So I do all this. The little guy I have does not seem to want to wake up. So they tell me to stimulate him. Rub his ears, rub his feet, lift his head, etc etc. So here I sit with this 18 pound "number 1" dog for a good 45 minutes. This guy is not waking up. Finally it starts “coming to”. I am rubbing him and he starts wagging his tail.

One of the other volunteers is doing the same thing with another dog, they did about 30 today, and she asks, “Is this dog owned?” This thought never entered my mind. Another woman asks what the dog’s number is and she checks. She comes back saying the dog is owned. Than another volunteer asks the same question and she goes to check again. It appears that most of the local volunteers do this three times a year and have been doing it for years. The medical team comes from Aspen, Colorado and the set up is incredible and meticulous.

When the woman returns with the list, I say, “what about number 1?” She says no, that is a stray. Of course I ask what happens to this pup that I have been rubbing for the last hour. She says they take them back to wherever they found them and let them loose again. “A stray?? Homeless”, I ask. The answer is yes.

So now we have a dog. It was easy to convince Maurice when he came. This dog is a male puppy about 4 months old. He will be a big dog. He has just been neutered and he looks like our dog Rex used to. All the women cheered when Maurice said yes. They leant us a cage and I am looking at him sleeping right now. We even got a volunteer there to say she would watch him when we go home for Vanessa’s wedding.

So now we have to name him. I chose Santiago first cause this was the name of a dog I had years ago, for a short time...and of course it sounds Mexican. When we got back here Maurice suggested Retro! Now I love that! It has to be Retro!!! Now Maurice is vacillating so we will see.

Here he is…isn’t he cute!

4 comments:

  1. that is the most precious puppy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A neutering clinic, Shelby, I love you more everyday!
    And no surprise that you came home with a dog.
    This fella was born a stray so he could find you two as parents. The luckiest dog on earth. - and very very cute I might add!
    My how his life is about to change. Congrats Mom and Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you got a dog.. he is a cutie..lynda and scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a doll! I am so excited he found you and Maurice. My doggies are anxious to meet their new cousin someday! We love you!

    ReplyDelete