On top of the rock

On top of the rock
Our Cliff

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Our day at the beach

Today my Mom and I were going to stay back at our apartment and go to the beach. The beach is only ½ mile from here but with the rutted, dirt road we decided Maurice should drop us off and we would walk back. He was leaving later this morning than usual. It was going to be a hot day. Heading to the beach at 10:30 seemed like a great idea.

We got ready. We put our suits on. Over our suits we put our shorts, t-shirts and jackets. Layering was a great idea since it was early in the day. It was bound to get hotter. So we are dressed. I am carrying both the sun screen and water. We have two beach chairs. To be honest I was a little concerned about getting them back home. They are rather heavy, and we have to walk up hill from the beach to get back. Anyway, I figured I would deal with it. We had to have chairs, for our day at the beach.

Maurice drops us off. We still have about 200 feet to get to the best part of the beach, which is closer to the water. I carry the two chairs, my bag with our lotion and two containers of water, and my Mom’s shoes. She brought a pair of walking shoes and socks to get back to our place. My Mom is using a cane right now. The ground is uneven and of course walking in the sand is rough. Of course she tries to help carry. Of course I say no.

We start to walk to where we can view the surf. From the minute Maurice pulls away I thought....GEES IT IS WINDY HERE!!! Than I looked at Mom...clutching her hand around her sweatshirt’s neckline. She tries to talk but the wind takes her words away... WHHHHHAAATTTTT????? IT‘S WINDY HERE!!!!!!!

Really…

What to do??? Walk back!!! COME ON!! We just got here. She decides she wants to stay in the parking area, which is really more like a “catch all”. There are three dogs, a pile of brunt our drift wood from a previous night’s fire, an empty pop bottle...well you can imagine. Since there was less wind there she thought we should sit there. “But you can’t see the ocean, “I say. “Well, I know, but it is O.K.” she sweetly says. We need to go back! BACK!!?? But we haven’t even sat down yet.

Well, back we go. We decide we could sit outside where we are staying, in the nice, protected yard, and get some sun and still see the ocean. We have a plan but first she has to put on her walking shoes. The chairs, thankfully, come off my already aching arms so she can sit. After we get her shoes on we load everything back on me. The two chairs. Two containers of water. The bag with our sun screen in it. Mom’s sandals. Off we go. Of course she tries to help. Of course I say no.

We walk a short distance before she trips on a rock. “Watch your feet”, I say. The road is rutted and not in good shape. “How far do we have to go??” she asks. “1/2 mile,” I say. She says it will certainly feel like ten!! I think, “You are not carrying two beach chairs, two containers of water, one bag with sun screen in it and YOUR sandals!!”

Anyway we must have been quite to sight because soon a Mexican guy offers us a ride. I mean, this is a first!!! We give Mexican’s rides! I have never seen them stop to pick up gringas before. Anyway, I couldn’t get the word YES out of my mouth quick enough. I learned afterwards that Mom was shocked I said yes!!! Of course I said yes, but I only did it for her...certainly not for me.

So we arrived home and had a lovely two hours in the yard, sunning ourselves. We are now watching the white caps on the ocean,(since the winds are so strong) protected by papaya trees, with a nice glow of sun on our faces.

This is the story of our day at the beach.

2 comments:

  1. Shelby, you are so classic! And a great writer. Please give my best to your mom...xoxo

    ReplyDelete