On top of the rock

On top of the rock
Our Cliff

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Casita numero uno

So much for wanting to build a house that hugs the cliff and looks like it has been there for years!!!

This dream was so important to us we even designed our house in sections, each one on a separate level of the cliff. The living room, kitchen and one guest room are on one level. A few steps up, in a separate building and still hugging the earth will be our bedroom. The two casitas will be lower than all this, again, hugging the cliff. Nothing huge, just unique.

To create levels and elevations Don Jose has the workers build wooden frames so they can see where the floors will be. This is all done by “eye”. The main building has been done and today they were working on casita number 1. What we discovered is that because of the steepness of the cliff this casita’s retaining walls will be about 6 meters high!! That is over 18 feet! We watched one of the workers, on a hand made ladder, climbing up and putting the cross pieces of wood on the previously placed poles to mark the elevation. OH MY GOD!! Seriously!!! IT IS CRAZY!!

Maurice came to me, as I was painting the bodega….again….I must have been a little bored and gees it had been a month since it had been painted!!….anyway, Maurice came to me and said….. “YOU'VE GOT TO SEE THIS!!!”. I said, Ya, I know!!! He said, “NO, YOU HAVE GOT TO COME SEE THIS!!!” I asked if it was bad??!! He said, “I don’t know”. So up we go and I will tell you, it is crazy. It made me nauseous watching them and I could not shut my gapping mouth. What the heck are we doing? I mean we KNOW our plans. We KNOW what we are creating here. We have been thinking and planning it for 4 years…..BUT MY GOD!! When you see it happening!!!!!!!….that is another story. It is breathtaking. I do not mean in an arrogant way, I mean in a way that is actually takes your breath away. I do not know how they are going to pull it off, but of course they will. This is what they do. I am in awe of them every day!!!

As of now our project is becoming more visible and I am sure we will be getting more visitors as the days go by. Usually everyday we have someone looking for work, (SO SAD) and few “nosy” people who drive back to see what is happening. I guarantee you they all are thinking the same thing…….

ARE THESE PEOPLE OUT OF THEIR EVER LOVING MINDS!!!

Today it kind of felt like that, in a really good, exciting, and scary way.


P.S. Where the guy in the red shirt's head is is right where the floor will be. There will also be 7 foot walls on top of this!

2 comments:

  1. Hi guys this is Chris.
    OMG! This is NOT how we do it at work. LOL..
    I have to come down there.
    Happy Building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to see your dream, now in block and cement!
    I've worried about you all day today...did you see any affects from the earthquake in Chile?

    ReplyDelete