On top of the rock

On top of the rock
Our Cliff

Friday, October 8, 2010

Here she goes again....

I have to tell you that I have not cried for a long time. It used to be that every time I went "arriba de la roca" I would cry. I could not believe we owned such a magnificent place. It did not seem right that people could own such a spectacular piece of nature. I would have to breath slowly to try and calm myself, yet the tears would come. One day you will be here and you will understand. THEN add to it that we have dreamt about this for 5 years and have been working towards this goal, and the emotions are crazy.

In the past 10 days that Maurice has been gone there has been many things accomplished. Yes, the painting continues. They are pretty much done and they will now spend their time fixing up what the electricians, carpenters and other workers have messed up...of course inadvertently, but never-the-less it needs fixing.

They have put drains on the road. When the rains came we realized that there was nowhere for the water to go so it ran down the sides of the road taking gravel with it. We now have 5 culverts, but a road that is still in need of lots of repair.

They finished our outdoor kitchen Everything needs to be installed but it is in and painted. We also have to have wood doors made.

The carpenters have started installing the closets and the bathroom doors. They look great! It is amazing how much of a difference wood doors make. They are all custom since this was the best way to get what we wanted. You can not find doors at Home Depot for a house like ours...nothing at our place is standard. Of course with me hovering over them they are not happy. "What about this mark?" "I can see a screw here." "Why is the wood splitting here?" Lucky they speak no English, and my Spanish sucks cause they may get REALLY upset with me. They keep trying to tell me it is not finished yet....I have to believe them.

Maurice wanted custom made travertine steps going up to his office and around our bathtub. They were installed this week, too. INCREDIBLE!!! They look so classy!! For a guy who "does not care what we do inside" when he comes up with an idea it is grand!!!

They have also put the black rock facing on the wall behind our bed. We waited for this rock since June! They are large, round, black polished stones, placed on sheets for easy application. WOW!! I can not wait to see our bed up against it! Our green verdigris and brass bed that I will be painting black. That bed. I also had them put some of the rock around our shower entrance since it is all the same room. I will post pictures of everything when Maurice gets back with our computer...O.K. HIS computer that I am using!!!

I have a truck load full of garbage to take to the dump and they still have lots of cleaning up to do. Two weeks...that is when I think they will be close to being done. A guy came today to check out our needs for landscaping...that is fun...

BUT THE BIG THING!!....THE THING THAT BROUGHT THOSE GOSH DARNED TEARS.....

They are now installing the windows and the sliding doors. Virtually all of our openings to the outrageous views are glass. Today two truck loads came, with 10 people and they began the installation. THE WINDOWS AND DOORS ARE PERFECT! They add such an element of completion that I lost it. I think the workers thought I was crazy. I tried to be subtle but I was hugging the woman who owns the company and thanking her SO much for listening to what we wanted and delivering on it! I did not tell Maurice. It will be his surprise when he gets home tomorrow.

Our dream is almost done.

Wait til you see it!

4 comments:

  1. Wow....wish we could be there to see all of this! Maurice showed us pictures last night of more of the construction, pictures that have not been on your blog. The interior of Arriba de la Roca is amazing. The staircase inside the main building is amazing! Your sunken tub is amazing! I can just imagine all of the beautiful travertine added. This is truly a dream come true...couldn't have happened to better people. Maurice just left for the airport and we miss him already. But he will be back to his sweetheart in a few hours and we are happy for that! Love you Shelby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have been gone since middle of September and just finished readig all the blogs and getting updated....Wow! Sounds like you are really close to finishing constructing your dream!
    Looking forward to pictures!
    As the Irish say....Maith Thu! ( you did it ) and Slainte! ( cheers ) L&W

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yee haaa... 33 more days and we will see the near finished rock. Four years in prep and one year construction, unbelievable!!! Should we bring a blender? We can't wait. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - how wonderful - how crazy - how you!?!?!

    So heartened to read your blogs and hear of your dreams coming true...brightens the day indeed!
    xo

    Donna

    ReplyDelete