On top of the rock

On top of the rock
Our Cliff

Sunday, December 12, 2010

6,737 miles or 10,779 kilometers

Back in 1987 my friend Nancy and I moved from downtown Minneapolis to Lake Independence. We rented a fabulous house there, on the lake, with two large living rooms, both overlooking the water. Since we had never lived in a place with two living rooms before, we needed to get some additional furniture. Lucky for us that Nancy worked at a home furnishings store at the time and got us some great bargains. One of the first things we did was buy matching sectional sofas for our two living rooms. One was a kind of pastel stripe and the other a kind of pink color. This pink sofa was mine. I chose the color because it matched a beautiful antique rug that my mother had given me. The rug had this color of “pink” along with taupe and black and shades of blues and maroon.

During the 4 years that Nancy and I lived in that house we survived many changes. There was an apartment down below that she eventually moved into with her boyfriend (now husband) Wade. Her sofa was too large for the space so she sold it to me and my new roommate, our friend “Hogger”. (Either that or I begged so much that the matching sofas not be separated she left it for us...the truth escapes me!!)

In 1991 I left Minneapolis to move to Clearwater, Florida to finally be with the love of my life, Maurice. Our friend Jack moved in with Hogger and I took all my things with me. Hogger kept Nancy’s sofa...but my pink sofa came with me to Clearwater.

My life in Clearwater was not for long. Suffice to say that in January of 1992 I re-packed all my things and moved to Toronto; Palgrave, Ontario to be exact. Again, all my worldly possessions came with me, including my pink sofa. From there Maurice and I bought our house in Tottenham, Ontario. Again, another big move including the pink sofa.

Over the years we added and changed so many things in our ever growing home. One constant was the pink sofa that sat on top of the beautiful antique rug in our living room. We finally had new pillows made to kind-of update the look since the sofa was still great, but the color "pink" that was rather passé.

When we started clearing out our house for our move to Mexico we got rid of lots of things. We had auctions and rummage sales and I do have to say that the Salvation Army Thrift Stores and Goodwill were the recipients of many things I would have NEVER believed we would have just given away...but we did.

The pink sofa was going to go to Rocco and Donna as they had gutted their basement and were remodeling it. Although we knew they would not keep it there for a long time we were excited they were taking our fabulous, albeit pink, sofa.

Just before we were to move Rocco and Donna found out that the sofa would not make it down and around their steps. O.K. Now what. It was way to good to just give away to Goodwill, and Maurice’s kids could not use it. There was only one choice. The pink sofa was loaded into our 40 ft moving container and it came with us to Mexico in December of 2009.

Minneapolis to Clearwater on a moving truck. Clearwater to Palgrave on a U-Haul. Palgrave to Tottenham in another U-Haul. Tottenham to Halifax Nova Scotia on a train. Halifax to Vera Cruz Mexico, on an ocean liner. From Vera Cruz, on a truck, over the Sea of Cortez on a ferry, to our storage unit in Todos Sanots, Baja Sur Mexico.

That couch was a real trouper. Following me wherever I went. Always there to support and hold me up. There to hold up friends, family, grandchildren. It was always there for me.


It was there to pose for family Christmas pictures on










It was there for kids and grandkids to play on









It was there the "night of"













.....and the "morning after"


It supported "Mexican" costumes....















....and new families




We moved it from room to room...depending on how many people we needed to seat for Christmas dinner






















And we held new...


















And growing grandbabies on it




But what are we going to do with this integral-part-of-our-life-pink-sofa in Mexico?


Stay tuned.....




P.S. If you think that on December 13th....12 days before our first Christmas without family....that me going through pictures to find ones with the pink sofa on it make me cry, than you are right.......That part of this posting REALLY sucked!

6 comments:

  1. Well there's no way you can get rid of it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, boy! Do I remember that sofa! It brings back so many memories of the Lake Independence house.... (Do you remember when all of you sisters had a photo taken with your heads through the wagon wheel bar? Didn't my mom's head get stuck???

    And onto this weekend. I'm not sure we can celebrate holidays without you. This is going to take some getting used to,and I don't like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It made me cry as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I DO remember the "heads through the wagon wheel"!! Unfortunately I could only post pictures that I had taken digitally...I sure wish I could have gone back 23 years to show them all!!! Talk about crying!....will be doing lots of that THIS weekend! I will be calling though. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aaahhhh...how I remember that couch...I think its the same one I did a somersault over before taking out the beautiful square glass table...only something your crazy neighbour could do...so that's why you moved to Mexico..to get away from us!!! grins...I'm sure you'll find the perfect spot for it...its part of many memories...and therefore a wonderful addition to your new adventure....

    ReplyDelete