On top of the rock

On top of the rock
Our Cliff

Sunday, March 21, 2010

CH CH CH CHANGES

My Mom is now gone. She left on Saturday after 2 weeks of wonderful and varied experiences for both of us. The most important thing is that she realized I was safe here. She had to see for herself that Maurice and I were moving forward in a positive direction and that we had made the right decision in moving here. This happened. She left knowing we would be fine. In fact she left knowing we would be more than fine. She told me we were building heaven and if she did not have any other obligations she would not leave here. Wow. That says something. Even removing our project from the equation I think she would stay. She loved the people, the weather, the desert, the cactus, the ocean, the sky, the surf, the sun, the lifestyle. She only wore ½ of what she brought here to wear. There is a kind of freedom in that.

We now live in the bodega. We moved in 4 days ago. We are living in our cute little place with no water. We have electricity, thank you very much, but we can not shower or wash. Oops, excuse me, we can wash. We have a plastic moving bin, number 251, which once held tools of some sort. We fill this partially full with water and wash ourselves. Mom had the brilliant idea of heating water in the coffee pot to mix with the cold water so at least we have tepid water to clean ourselves with. This is the only way we can heat our water since as of yet have no propane. I did go try to buy a tank, the kind like you would attach to your BBQ, but they do not sell them here. We may find one in Cabo, but for now we heat our water in the 12 cup coffee pot and wash our dishes and our bodies with this. Thank heavens we have a toilet that flushes. We bring in buckets of water to fill the tank and pull the lever when necessary. So all is prefect. We live in a world with lights, a toilet and a 12 cup coffee pot. Cool!….oh, speaking of cool, we also have a refrigerator. All these are run by our 8, 200 pound, 6 volt, batteries, charged by our generator. Who could ask for anything more?

I now wash my hair at the Presidente. This is the all inclusive in San Jose Del Cabo that Maurice and I have stayed at on occasion for the last few years. Two of those times it was with our friends from Wisconsin, Jackie and Tom and Tara and Jerry, who are now there again for a week. Last Thursday Maurice, Mom and I went for the day. (We did not bring our bubbas!!) Our day ended with showers and clean hair, compliments of the Presidente‘s out door shower. Saturday I went back, after taking my Mom to the airport, and spent the afternoon. This day ended with me washing my hair…compliments of Tom and Jackie. Tuesday we go back again….there is clean hair in my future.

We now live in a world of 10 million stars. Out here there is no light. This month the moon is not yet even ¼ full and no one has electricity. The sky is filled with millions of stars. You have never seen anything like it. You drop your head back and your mouth hangs open in ah!! It is spectacular and there are no words to describe the sky on these nights. Why didn’t I study science more! There are 1000’s of constellations and all I know is Orion the Hunter, 7 sisters and the dippers....I also know that “W” called Cassiopeia, but that is not visible right now. We have a book somewhere....and a telescope. The heavens were made to explore. This exploration is being stopped by two storage units filled to the brim with stuff. Things that include a telescope and a book on stars. One day….

Good night. I am off to brush my teeth with a cup with water and a cup to “spit” in. I forgot to tell you we have no drain pipes.

2 comments:

  1. MOM POINTED OUT THIS IS YOUR BODEGA..IT LOOKS BEAUTIFUL...CONGRATULATIONS!!! LOVE, LYNDA AND SCOTT P.S. WE THOUGHT YOU WERE AT A RESORT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've missed your entries, Shel! (Addicted to checking for new posts) Glad you're writing again. You are such an excellent writer, I feel as though I am in Mexico with you guys. Easter won't be normal at all, not having you there. Sigh.....Can't wait to see Grammie's pix! XXOO J

    ReplyDelete