On top of the rock

On top of the rock
Our Cliff

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

FRIENDSHIP

The strange thing about friendships are that you can not look for them. They seem to find you and when they do, true friendships will never leave. There are different kind of friendships and various lengths of friendships.

There are friends I have had since high school. There are friends I have had since university and there are others that I have had most of my adult life. There are friends that I talk to once every year or two but I think of them so often that I feel they are with me everyday. I have friends that I keep tabs on their lives only through Facebook. I have friends I used to see everyday. I have friends I see every few years. I have friends that make incredible efforts to maintain our friendship, and some that do not. I even have friends that I am related to.

Friendships to me are very different than acquaintances. Some people throw the word “friend” around and it looses its meaning. For me when you make friends with someone they become part of you. They enter your thoughts and live in your sub-conscious. I am truly blessed by the people in my life that I call my friends. People I would do anything for. I know they would do the same for me. Anything.

I have moved around a lot in my life. With the exception of my 17 years in Toronto, and my upbringing, the longest I lived anywhere was 7 years. That was Minneapolis. I have lived in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. I lived in Wausau, Stevens Point, Eau Claire, and Milwaukee, all in Wisconsin. I lived a few places in the San Diego area. I lived two places in Minneapolis, and in Clearwater and Toronto.

Through all my moves I have carried a few friends with me. In a few places I have even added one. My 17 years in Toronto created friendships that I now yearn for. In my mind we are on vacation and I will soon return home and be with you all again. It has not hit me that this is not true, yet. Maybe when our things arrive and we move into the bodega, reality will hit.

Through all the experiences we are living here, as well as when I lay awake at night, you are with me. I am happy here, enjoying the development of our dream. We are living a daily life of unknowns and unexpected surprises. Through each of these things I carry you in my heart. You will always be a part of me.

My sister asked me if I was in “my happy place”? Yes, I am. But I miss you all dearly. I live and breath with you and know I love you.

3 comments:

  1. So perfectly written...and know that everyone on this blog that is following you're journey from afar feels the same way as you do. I feel priviledge to now say I have a friend in Mexico. I truly now have international friends.

    I have thought long and hard about what you have written and it occurred to me that because you are on you're adventure, the new people you meet the new experiences you face all help fill your days and keep your hearts distracted. For those of us who had you in our lives more frequently (the 17 years in Toronto), there is a bigger hole there to fill..certainly a bigger one than I imagined...and well we have your blog to help fill it partially...the other part...well I say we all "time share" one of the caciedas...and go down and enjoy the place where new memories will happen called Arriba de la Roca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kate. I met Shelby in 1978 while she was living and working in San Diego. When she left a couple of years later, my heart ached. But then again, Shelby is the type of person that you miss as soon as she leaves the room.

    Our lives moved on, and we only connect with emails or phonecalls here and there or when she and Maurice come to San Diego. But it's always like she never left and we find ourselves enjoying our friendship as if time has stood still...and when she leaves again, I am sad...and there is a bigger hole to fill.

    For as long as I can remember, Shelby has dreamed big and she never ceases to amaze me. Can't wait to see this one come together and make her biggest (well, not quite, Maurice was the biggest!) dream come true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you my friend.....love you..and will see you on our cliff soon!!! 1978...how can that be when we are only 35??

    ReplyDelete