On top of the rock

On top of the rock
Our Cliff

Friday, April 23, 2010

An e-mail from Maurice sent at midnight

It’s Wednesday night, Pizza night at the “Sandbar”, I’m alone, Shelby’s gone on a shopping extravaganza in Guadalajara. I’m scared, in the sense of the shopping extravaganza, not being alone, I’m sitting at the bar looking around.

Only about a dozen and a half regulars are there, most around the bar. People we see all the time: the serious drinkers, they are not here for pizza night, they are here every night. The long haired hippies, a few locals, meaning Mexicans, and across the bar from where I’m sitting, the three blond witches: mother and two daughters. I exchange a few meaningless words with the “souls” next to me. Pizza is slow in coming. I haven’t eaten all day so I grab two slices as soon as I can. Gabe, the friendly bartender, tells me he cannot serve me my usual drink, Gin ‘n tonic, he has run out of tonic. I say no problems, “just pour the Gin, screw the tonic”. So he does, the drink comes and the glass is just as full, I don’t complain, I guess that’s how I’ll order from now on.

I eat the pizza, down the drinks, miss my wife and feel lonely. Another look around tells me that I don’t belong, I’m a being from out of space, a different planet. I don’t have the southern drawl or the Californian twang, and I don’t have the long unkempt dirty blond hair, in fact I don’t have that much hair at all, and the little I’ve got is well cut and trimmed, my wife made sure of that just before she left. I also don’t wear a baseball cap nor a straw hat, I’ve no tattoos and no pierced ears. I feel different.

So with nothing to do or someone to talk to, my mind wonders and when it does it usually goes to numbers. I love numbers, numbers are everything. Numbers speak the truth, they are what they are. So with number in my head, and drinks and Pizza slices, here is a quiz:

1 - It is February 1st and it’s pizza night. It is also a non leap year. I decide to have as many pizza slices as the days to take me to my next “Pizza Night”. I’ll do the same with my drinks but add one extra drink. How many slices and drinks I would have consumed at the end of the month?

2 - Also How many if it was a leap year?

3 – Do you think I miss my wife?

Hurry back.

Love you

XOX

2 comments:

  1. 1-52?
    2-same
    3-yes, you miss her big time,and your email made me sad!
    Go home to your hubby Shelby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh....he is O.K. :) Took some photos for you. Will e-mail them tomorrow. Leaving for Toronto Tuesday, Maurice's daughter is getting married on the 14th. He will be there 2 weeks...I am also going to Wisconsin so I will be gone 5 weeks. Question numbe 1: How many pizza nights will he have without me?? XOXXO

    ReplyDelete