On top of the rock

On top of the rock
Our Cliff

Saturday, April 3, 2010

My first sorrow

Easter has always been my family’s biggest holiday. It seemed to be the easiest for everyone to come home for Easter, so we were all there. This get together began about 23 or 24 years ago, and involved a place called Rabbit Rock, hidden Easter gifts, a bar called Ranks, (in Adams Friendship, Wisconsin) for ham sandwiches and a pool game or two; all this for a family of adults. Then my niece Jennifer started coming with her two little ones, who are now totally grown adults, and slowly our celebration has changed. More children were born into the family so now our Easter is one of baskets for kids, Easter egg hunts, a picnic at my sister Barbara and her husband John’s cottage, and Friday night pizza at Pasquale’s, with the kids swimming next door. On a good year there are 11 children, all running around playing the games we organize for them. Weather permitting; there is usually a soft ball game in Barbara and John’s yard. It is really a great time of year for all of us.

Well last night was Pasquale night. This year was a strange year for everyone, and the number of my family members in attendance was much smaller than normal, but I still missed it; and it still made me sad. Today they are all at the cottage. It is supposed to rain there so they may take the kids swimming. They will still find a way to hide baskets, and eggs, and play the games. There are only 6 kids there this year and 10 adults. 16 is small for an Easter celebration with my family. But imagine 16 of your family together, and you are not there. This makes me lonesome. I have put in the request for Easter in the Baja next year. We will see who takes me up on that!!!!

We are going to try and re-do this celebration over Memorial Day at the cottage this year. I will be in Wisconsin for a week, after celebrating Vanessa and Jay’s wedding in Toronto. Maurice will come back to Mexico after the wedding to continue with our project, but I will sneak home for some family time.

So Happy Easter to everyone. Enjoy your families and your loved ones. Do not take anything or anyone for granted. Life changes and you can never get these days back again.

P S. Don’t feel too sorry for me. We are off to the beach. It is a glorious day here. Maurice and me and our dog. We have a cooler of beer, some cheese, crackers and smoked oysters...And a dish of water for our dog, Retro.

No comments:

Post a Comment